Youth & Family
Youth Specialist I (Part-Time)
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Gurnee Teen Center Director, the Youth Specialist I works as part of a team to provide programs and activities for the Warren Township Teen Center members. The Youth Specialist I assists in the planning and implementation of various activities and events as well as assist with the daily operations of the Warren Township Teen Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, coordinate, maintain and implement programs for the Teen Center.
- Engage Teen Center members to participate in process of establishing and participating in desirable activities.
- Assist with field trips sponsored by Teen Center
- Participate in annual training for the Northern Illinois Food Bank. Practice and enforce the rules and standards set forth by NIFB as applies to facility.
- Assist with FNA dance. Act as support staff, monitor activities at FNA.
- Participate in Teen Advisory Board program and their activities. Act as facilitator for meetings as needed.
- Maintain open and positive communication with Teen Center Members. Serve as a positive role model by demonstrating problem solving skills and establishing trust through interactions.
- Provide Homework Assistance to members
- Participate in special events and programs as needed throughout the year.
- Monitor all program equipment and supplies. Supervise check-out and return of all equipment, supplies, a/v materials and games.
- Maintain cleanliness and safety of Teen Center facility. Organize equipment, games and supplies.
- Monitor behavior of Teen Center members, respond to violations following the established protocol
- Orientation of new Teen Center Members, including review of information packet and rules with teen and filing of paperwork. Entering of members information into computer system (facility specific).
- Recruit new Teen Center Members
- Maintain up to date knowledge of township services and youth service programs.
- Maintain verbal and written communication with other Teen Center staff regarding daily occurrences
- Opening and Closing of Teen Center
- Operation of snack shop including maintaining inventory of items, restocking and providing and following established procedures for handling cash and deposits. Report discrepancies to Director.
- Monitor skate park area as applies to facility.
- May assist with overflow duties at either Teen Center facility.
- Under the direction of Township Supervisor and/or Director, monitor Township Center property and patron.
- Performs a variety of miscellaneous duties such as answering phones, copying, filing and other duties as assigned
- Expected to maintain regular required attendance
- Participate in safety training for Teen Center facilities. Expected to observe and follow all prescribed safety rules, regulations and procedures.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in both written and verbal communications. Bi-Lingual Spanish a plus.
- Ability to plan, implement and evaluate programs and activities appropriate for teens
- Recognized ability to serve as a positive role model by demonstrating problem solving skills and establishing trust through interactions.
- Exposure to working with low-income and minority youth and families
- Ability to engage in physical activity as it relates to implementing programs and activities at the Teen Center.
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors
- Demonstrated ability to deal with individuals and situations in accordance with established procedures.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification
Minimum 17 years old, high school diploma or in progress. College degree in progress desired. Bi-Lingual Spanish a plus. American Red Cross First Aid/CPR certification, or ability to obtain within 2 months of hire. Some experience working with youth and/or teens through park district, camps, church groups, mentoring programs or related experience. Ability to work afternoon, evening and weekend hours. Valid Illinois Driver’s license preferred. School year position; may extend to summer program.
Hours/scheduled work days may vary; typically after-school hours Monday through Friday. Occasional weekend for special events.
Please send resumes to: email@example.com.