Youth and Family Services
PREVENTION SPECIALIST (part-time)
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Youth Services, the Prevention Specialist (PS) will work to enhance mental health awareness and suicide prevention. This position will be responsible for coordination of the Youth Services mental health awareness and suicide prevention programs in Warren Township. The goal of the coordinator is to develop an effective, community-wide campaign to reduce stigma among children, provide education to parents/stakeholders and information on services. The professional in this position will achieve this through direct contact with youth populations, development of marketing campaigns and workshops for parents and children in a variety of settings. This will work to address other relevant issues that promote emotional health, physical health and substance abuse prevention. The PS will interact with stakeholders, community agencies, professionals, schools, families, and individuals to prevent suicide.
This is a part-time position. We are seeking someone who will commit 15-20 hours a week. The scheduled hours of service will be a combination of week days and occasional Saturdays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop strategies and materials, as well as coordinate and conduct activities to increase mental health awareness and suicide prevention in Warren Township.
- Build coalition prevention capacity through participating in Healthy Communities/Healthy Youth coalition meetings, leading work groups, and community networking.
- Conduct and/or schedule training classes in education institutions and organizations on prevention.
- Attend events where outreach is needed (e.g., health fairs, street fairs, volunteer fairs, etc.)
- Develop promotional materials to support education for all youth services programming.
- Assist Director and other staff in the development of youth training curriculum.
- Develop strategies to promote education services and curriculum development.
- Track and record all prevention activities and keep accurate records of work accomplished in the community.
- Maintain adequate supplies of materials for distribution.
- Distribute materials as needed in person, by mail or by email (e.g., schools, after-school programs, youth-oriented non-profits).
- Attend meetings and serve as liaison for the agency in the Warren Township and Lake County community.
- Establish positive relationships and networks with community and referral agencies.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with other staff members.
- Attend staff meetings as requested.
- Complete any required training for the purpose of completing the requirement of this position, such as Social Marketing University.
- Assist with general marketing of Youth Services and social media.
- Participate in Township related events as requested.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of child and adolescent development and risk factors to their wellbeing.
- Ability to effectively develop relationships with stakeholders in the community, develop program material and communicate with public settings.
- Be capable of working with a diverse range of age groups; elementary, middle and high school age youth along with adults 18+ years.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with local school districts and other youth serving organizations.
- Proven ability to work as a team member and independently with excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, writing, and leadership skills.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification
Minimum BA/BS/BSW degree with an emphasis in human services, public administration, public health, education, youth development or community development. Master’s degree in Mental Health, Social Work, Education or Public Health preferred.
2+ years of experience as a prevention specialist, educator, school social worker, substance abuse specialist or youth worker required. Experience in community organizing, youth mental health issues, public speaking and engaging youth preferred.
This is a part-time position. We are seeking someone who will commit 15-20 hours a week and has the flexibility to attend meetings during the day, evenings or weekends.
Successful candidate must pass a comprehensive background investigation.
Please send resumes and salary requirements to email@example.com.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. The physical and mental demands are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to sit or stand for extended periods. Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions, strength to lift up to 10 pounds; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
Warren Township is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all laws and regulations relating to equal employment opportunities. The Township does not base employment on an individual’s race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, parental status, disability, or perceived disability.