INFORMATION & REFERRAL SPECIALIST II
Under general supervision of the Director of Senior Services, the Information & Referral Specialist serves as part of a team to provide community service assistance and support to the senior citizen population of Warren Township. The Information & Referral Specialist acts as an advocate for the senior citizen population and maintains professional relationships with service users and providers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Train with Senior Service Social Worker to assist senior citizens and qualified Warren Township residents with the completion of various forms and applications for public programs.
- Teach computer classes, including IPad™ and IPhone™, and provide individual instruction to members on computers and other technology.
- Attend and participate in Lake County Senior Services Coalition, and other community organizations.
- Ensure confidentiality and maintain compliance with relevant laws and guidelines as they pertain to client confidentiality.
- Create monthly newsletter article(s) which provide practical, informative and up to date insight regarding different programs and services as they pertain to senior citizens of Warren Township. Run and monitor printer to print and distribute newsletters.
- Demonstrate a continuous effort to respond to phone calls and request for service/ assistance within a timely manner.
- Register clients for programs and activities at the Senior Center.
- Assist in the set-up and clean-up for the daily programs and activities at the Senior Center.
- Provide staffing assistance at luncheons and other special events such as Grandparent’s Day and the Holiday Parties.
- Drive and chaperone some senior program day trips.
- Provide information and assistance with health insurance issues, including Medicare Parts A, B, C, & D, long term care, Medicaid programs and patient assistance programs.
- Provide information and assistance with any questions seniors and their families may have regarding available services and resources.
- Update and maintain referral and resource listings for housing, home services, financial and legal assistance, transportation, counseling and any other pertinent resources and/or service providers.
- Retain daily statistics regarding clients served and type of service. Compile monthly statistics for all staff. Prepare statistical reports as needed and submit to Executive Director.
- Visit senior citizens in their homes, when necessary to assess their needs and to refer them to appropriate available resources.
- Maintain up to date information regarding legislation and its impact upon the senior citizen population.
- Keep appropriate records of work and communications and file them appropriately.
- Provide notary services.
- Assist with other activities and programs at the Senior Center as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of theories, principals and practices related to gerontology/aging preferred.
- Exemplary customer service skills required.
- Experience and familiarity with the various issues and needs of the senior citizen population.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in verbal communication, including imparting information which is complex to individuals with widely varying abilities to comprehend, process and/or act upon the information.
- Ability to exercise discretion and judgment.
- Knowledge of and experience with outreach and community resources.
- Ability to work in a variety of settings, including client’s home, public sector and community organizations.
- Ability to make a positive contribution and to work constructively within a team.
- Must have ability to establish and maintain a professional working relationship with staff, participants and community.
- Experience with computer use, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and smart phones.
- Flexibility in the work environment.
Minimum Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of two years of post-high school education from an accredited school, preferably an AA/AS Degree in social work, sociology or psychology with technical/computer emphasis.
Strong computer proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, IPhone/IPad™ products required. Experience using high volume printer preferred.
Valid Illinois driver’s license required, along with a driving record acceptable to the Township’s insurance carrier.
Must be available to work occasional weekends and evenings. Occasional travel may be required.
American Red Cross First Aid/CRP certification, or ability to obtain within 2 months of hire.
Please send resumes and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. The physical and mental demands are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to sit or stand for extended periods. Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions, strength to lift up to 20 pounds; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Must adhere to safety standards and procedures.
Warren Township is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all laws and regulations relation to equal employment opportunities. The Township does not base employment on an individual’s race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, age, sex, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, parental status, disability, or perceived disability.