Parks & Recreation
Seasonal Youth Sports Umpire/Referee
Under the supervision of the Sports Director, the Youth Sports Umpire/Referee is responsible for monitoring sports activity, making sure all rules are followed and the game is played fairly.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed below encompass the principle duties and responsibilities of this position. All duties are not necessarily performed by a single job incumbent. An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following functions and other duties not listed, as assigned.
- Instruct players and coaches on the rules of the game.
- Officiate/make calls during the game; track game time.
- Remain unbiased while officiating contest and avoid verbal contact with spectators.
- Provide communication to/from coaches, participants and parents.
- Ensure athletic fields are prepared per program specifications, check for any safety hazards, and review any ground rules or unusual circumstances with coaches.
- Complete required reports and records of game.
- Maintain a safe and positive playing environment.
- Notify Sports Director of needed supplies and/or equipment.
- Ensure all players are in proper uniform and notify the coach if any problems need to be rectified.
- Notify Sports Director of problems and concerns regarding facilities, coaches, participants or spectators.
- Under direction supervision, perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of designated sport rules.
- Knowledge of standard safety practices.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with the general public.
- Ability to work independently and have good decision-making skills.
- Able to work days, evenings and weekends.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification
Must be 16 years or older (age 15, with work permit). Minimum high school education or GED equivalency in progress. Experience with umpiring/officiating youth league games. Officiating/umpiring certifications preferred. American Red Cross First Aid/CPR certification preferred.
Physical Requirements: The physical and environmental demands are representative of those that will be required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to lift at least 25 pounds.
- Able to crouch, stoop, kneel, reach, walk, and run for periods during officiating.
- Able to work indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- Vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and the vision to adjust focus.
Please send work history or resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Warren Township is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all laws and regulations relating to equal employment opportunities. The Township does not base employment on an individual’s race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, age, sex, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, parental status, disability, or perceived disability.