Parks Seasonal Painter
Under the supervision of the Parks & Maintenance Supervisor, this position performs a variety of professional-level painting duties involved in the care and maintenance of the Warren Township buildings and facilities (multiple campuses). All duties are performed under supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed below encompass the principle duties and responsibilities of this position. An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following functions.
- Apply paint to surfaces including (but not limited to) external and internal building walls, playground equipment, trim, curbs and signage, canvas, floors, doors, and cabinets.
- Mix, match, and apply paint, varnish, shellac, enamel, and other finishes.
- Scrape, sandpaper, prime, or seal surfaces prior to painting.
- Clean walls to ensure proper adherence.
- Cover surfaces with cloth or plastic to ensure protection.
- Calculate amounts of required materials and estimate costs.
- Fill cracks, holes, and joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other fillers, using caulking guns or putty knives.
- Apply several coats according to paint directions and surface.
- Tape off areas when needed.
- Use signage, as appropriate.
- Apply touchups or second coats.
- Remove paint splatters when finished.
- Clean up and maintain all equipment, including brushes and spray guns.
- Utilize spray guns for large jobs.
- Work on ladders to reach high ceilings or walls.
- Erect scaffolding, movable and immovable staging and various rigging to gain access to difficult areas.
- Work on ladders, scaffolding or lifts to reach high ceilings or walls, adhering to safety standards.
- Moves furniture and equipment as necessary.
- Remove fixtures such as pictures, doorknobs, lamps, and electric switch covers prior to painting.
- Select and buy paint from vendors.
- Negotiate prices for supplies; manage and report expenses based on Township procedures.
- Utilize appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic methods, materials, tools and standard practices regarding painting at the professional level.
- Knowledge of the hazards and applicable safety precautions required for a variety of equipment used in park and facility painting.
- Ability to perform duties in compliance with OSHA and Township health and safety requirements and risk management protocols.
- Skill in the operation and use of various types of painting equipment.
- Demonstrate flexibility in the work environment. Ability to work effectively with changes in work priorities.
- Ability to complete projects according to deadlines.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with co-workers and the general public.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification
Minimum high school education or GED equivalency. Professional level experience with facility painting and equipment required, including 10+ years experience in the field.
Valid Illinois Driver’s License along with a driving record acceptable to the Township’s insurance carrier.
Please send resumes and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Warren Township is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all laws and regulations relating to equal employment opportunities. The Township does not base employment on an individual’s race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, parental status, disability, or perceived disability.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
This position is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical and environmental demands are representative of those that will be required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.