Parks Grounds & Maintenance Worker II
Park Grounds & Maintenance Worker II
Under the supervision of the Parks & Maintenance Supervisor, this position performs a variety of semi-skilled and/or skilled duties involved in the care and maintenance of the Warren Township parks, playground, open lands, skate park, athletic fields and facilities. The Parks Grounds and Maintenance Worker will also perform specialized projects as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties listed below encompass the principle duties and responsibilities of this position. All duties are not necessarily performed by a single job incumbent. An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following functions.
- Participate in a variety of maintenance and landscape duties. Operate tractor mounted mowing equipment to cut grass and other hand and power tools such as push mower, edger, line trimmer, blowers, etc., to perform lawn and grounds maintenance duties.
- Operate light power driven vehicles and equipment such as pick up trucks, buses and carts.
- Perform snow and ice removal. Grade, plow, shovel and blow snow from parking lots, walkways and public areas of township grounds as needed.
- Perform general maintenance duties on light equipment including refueling, lubricating parts and making minor adjustments as necessary. All major maintenance work is sent to contracted agent.
- Operate chainsaw per certification requirements.
- Maintain facilities by performing a variety of duties including some light carpentry work, facility repairs, replacing light bulbs, setting timers and furnace filters, as needed.
- Prepare athletic fields per program specifications
- Cleans grounds and rest rooms in parks.
- Perform some painting of park equipment and facilities.
- Collection of litter and trash from grounds and containers throughout parks areas; disposal of trash.
- Water grounds through pump irrigation system as needed.
- Inspect grounds and facilities for damage, report noted damage.
- Set up and break down tables, chairs and equipment in facilities and shelters per department or facility usage request.
- Assist in maintaining food pantry and cleaning supplies. Restock as needed or requested.
- Direct seasonal employees in park maintenance duties.
- Participate in First Response duties as outlined in the Lake County plan for National Incident Management System (NIMS).
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Conducts regular inspection of the Township’s playground according to National Playground Safety Inspection (NPSI) guidelines.
- Coordinates repairs of playground equipment and surfaces
- Supervise installation of new playground equipment.
- Maintain National Playground Safety Inspection certification.
- Identifies, locates, and marks the location of subsurface utilities located within Warren Township property.
- Read and interpret electronic locating unit, utility maps, as-built maps and site maps to facilitate locating utility lines.
- Oversee work by contractors in order to minimize accidental damage or disruption of service due to construction and/or excavation activities.
- Maintains records related to utility locations.
- Inspect and perform preventative maintenance, manual repair of the sprinkler and irrigation systems in Warren Township parks and facilities.
- Works with related contractors in the installation and modification of multiple irrigation systems.
- Provide supervision of projects and oversight in the installation of irrigation systems, start-up and shut down of systems.
- Maintain and ensure the proper operation of all sprinklers, valves, supply lines and controllers.
- Monitors proper operation of master controllers for Township irrigation and sprinkler systems.
- Performs skilled operation of machinery needed for projects in the parks, athletic fields and facilities.
- Operation of forklift and backhoe to perform duties related to parks and facility maintenance and repair.
- Maintain proper forklift certification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic methods, materials, tools and standard practices regarding grounds maintenance.
- Knowledge of the hazards and applicable safety precautions required for a variety of equipment used in park and facility maintenance.
- Ability to perform duties in compliance with OSHA and Township health and safety requirements and risk management protocols.
- Skill in the operation and use of various types of ground maintenance equipment and hand tools.
- Ability to effectively communicate, understand instructions and follow directions.
- Flexibility in the work environment. Ability to work effectively with changes in work priorities.
- Ability to work independently and complete projects according to deadlines.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with co-workers, contractors and the general public.
- Ability to use computer, including internet applications.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification
High school diploma or GED equivalency required. Some college preferred.
Four to six years of experience in municipal facility maintenance preferred; or an equivalent combination of experience, training and certification(s) which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work. Computer and internet proficiency required. Valid Illinois Driver’s License along with a driving record acceptable to the Township’s insurance carrier. American Red Cross First Aid/CPR certification, or ability to obtain within 2 months of hire.
Please send resumes to email@example.com.
Warren Township is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all laws and regulations relating to equal employment opportunities. The Township does not base employment on an individual’s race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, age, sex, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, parental status, disability, or perceived disability.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
This position is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical and environmental demands are representative of those that will be required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Title: Park Grounds Maintenance Worker
Physical Component of Work: High X Moderate Low