Under the direction of the Business Services Manager (BSM), the Accounting Manager is responsible for assisting in the business and financial functions, payroll and employee functions, financial reporting and all aspects of business operations for Warren Township and Warren Road District.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In accordance with state statutes and generally accepted accounting procedures, oversee the collection of all revenues.
- Ensure accurate general ledger entries of all revenues and assist in monitoring township fund balances.
- Prepare bank deposits for review by Business Services Manager.
- Acquire and maintain W-9s for all vendors; identify and purge inactive vendors.
- Assist in maintaining multiple general ledgers on departmental, overall fund and overall township levels.
- Ensure accurate general ledger entries.
- Help prepare bank reconciliation. Investigate and resolve discrepancies.
- Provide necessary documentation for external audits.
- Assist in preparation of internal financial reports including but not limited to budget, cash, investment and expenditure.
- Assist in preparation of county, state and federally required financial reports.
- Work with Business Services Manager to arrange publication of county, state and federally required financial notices.
Levy & Analysis:
- Assist BSM in calculation of Township levy.
- Analyze individual township funds to determine future cash requirements. Review results with BSM.
- Assist BSM in preparation of financial analysis and data reports at the request of the Township Supervisor and department heads.
- Interact with external auditors regarding proper internal procedures and external audits.
- In accordance with state statutes and generally accepted accounting procedures, initiate the processing of disbursements.
- Work with departmental staff to establish procedures for submission of payment requests, including distributing invoices to departments and reconciling charge receipts.
- Monitor budget to expenditure activity.
- Ensure accurate general ledger posting of expenditures.
- Reconcile billing statements.
- Assist in preparation and filing of 1099 information per state and federal requirements.
- Review online time sheets for accuracy.
- Assist in preparing payroll.
- Review state and federally required tax returns including but not limited to withholding, unemployment and W-2s.
- Review and coordinate changes to payroll deductions. Review and ensure proper transfer of funds for federal/state taxes and employee benefit programs.
- Assist in coordinating and reviewing payments for employee benefits programs including but not limited to insurance, retirement, 457 plan, medical, life and dental insurance, and worker’s compensation.
- Review and work with payroll vendor to ensure distribution of required payroll notices to employees.
- Maintain storage of Township records as required by Township auditor, industry standards and State of Illinois Archives.
- Prepare/coordinate appeals for periodic record purges in accordance with Illinois State Archives.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping skills and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial requirements.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to provide direction to others and possess skills necessary for decision making.
- Utilize technology and tools to continually improve accounting/financial procedures.
- Flexibility in the work environment.
- Must be able to calculate figures and amounts, capable of statistical analysis and probability concepts.
- Ability to apply discretion.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or related degree, or equivalent experience and training sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above. Accounting coursework coupled with experience in the Accounting field required.
- Experience working with ADP systems and/or experience processing payroll using a web-based system strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivables experience necessary.
- Experience implementing web-based software for accounts payable/receivable helpful.
- Experience in the public sector a plus.
Please send resume and or work history to email@example.com.
Warren Road District is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all laws and regulations relating to equal employment opportunities. The Road District does not base employment on an individual’s race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, parental status, disability, or perceived disability.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. The physical and mental demands are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to sit or stand for extended periods. Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions, strength to lift up to 10 pounds; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.