847-244-1101 Ext 3
7 A.M.- 3:30 P.M.
NPDES Phase II
By March 10, 2003, all municipalities in Lake County were required to have a permit for phase two of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES). NPDES is entering its second phase in an effort to address the remaining non-point source pollution issues with municipal storm sewer outfalls. Measurable, annual objectives addressing six “minimum control measures” were required.
SMC is the Qualified Local Program (QLP). Warren Township is the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4).
SMC has taken the lead on coordinating the local program, and has provided technical assistance and outreach services. This approach gave the local entities freedom to tailor our own programs to meet the six minimum control standards outlined in the NPDES regulations.
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Participation/Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Runoff Control
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping
Local entities also benefit from the ad-hoc Municipal Advisory Committee (MAC), made up of municipal, township, drainage district, consulting, and county representatives. MAC coordinated and reviewed the Notice of Intent (NOI) and other program components. The goal of NPDES Phase II is to preserve, protect, and improve water resources by reducing pollutants in storm water runoff. We began attending these monthly meetings in March 2003.
The following had to be provided as an attachment to the NOI:
- The best management practices (BMPs) to be implemented and the measurable goals for each of the storm water minimum control measures designed to reduce the discharge of pollutants to the maximum extent practicable.
- The month and year in which we will start and fully implement each of the minimum control measures or indicate the frequency of the action.
- The person or persons responsible for implementing or coordinating our storm water management program.
- Identification of a local qualifying program, SMC.
In June of each year, the report for the previous year and measurable goals for the next year are due to the EPA.
Below are various links you can visit for more information on NPDES Phase II.
CLICK HERE … to view our Stormwater Management Program Plan
CLICK HERE … to view The Big Picture
CLICK HERE … to view the Year 17 Annual Report
CLICK HERE .. to view information for general storm water permits for small municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4)
CLICK HERE … to view information on the national Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II
CLICK HERE … to view information on climate research from the EPA
CLICK HERE … to view information on green infrastructure
CLICK HERE … to view information on greenscaping for a healthier yard
CLICK HERE … to view information on how to wash your car the right way
CLICK HERE … to view information on recycling through SWALCO