- Exemption Information
- Veterans & Disabled Persons
- Returning Veterans Exemption
Returning Veterans Exemption
This exemption lowers the equalized assessed value of the veterans principal residence by $5,000 for up to two consecutive assessment (tax) years. This would include the tax year and the following year that the veteran returns from active duty in an armed conflict involving the armed forces of the United States.
To qualify, applicants must:
- be an Illinois resident who has served as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, Illinois National Guard, or U.S. Reserve Forces,
- have returned from active duty in an armed conflict involving the armed forces of the U.S.,
- have owned or had a legal or equitable interest in the land on which a single-family residence is situated and used as your principal place of residence on January 1 of the assessment years, and
- be liable for the payment of the property taxes.
All applications must be submitted online through the Smartfile E-Filing Portal. You can receive assistance by phone or in person by calling or visiting the Chief County Assessment Office or the local township assessor’s office. To start the application process:
Go to the Chief County Assessment Office Smart E-Filing Portal at assessor.lakecountyil.gov
Log in to your account, create a new account, or log in as a guest
Click “Available Filings”
EX01: Homestead Exemption Application
Click “Begin Filing" and follow the instructions
Properties Held in Trust:
When you are applying for a new exemption and the property is held in trust, we must verify that the applicant is a current living beneficiary of that trust. The exemptions cannot be applied without this verification. Please include a copy of that part of the actual trust agreement which states that the applicant is a beneficiary. This can usually be found on the first few pages of the trust document. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly at 847-377-2100.
17801 W. Washington St.
Gurnee, IL 60031
17801 W. Washington St. Gurnee IL 60031
Phone: : 847-244-1101, option 2Fax: : 847-244-8521