The Brush Removal Program is for homeowners' convenience. We have a brush chipper designed to chip limbs and branches that do not qualify as yard waste. Our equipment is not designed to grind small twigs and evergreen trimmings.
The brush removal service began in 1997 and was designed for residents who needed to do a little trimming and/or pruning around their home. The service is for residents living within the jurisdiction of Warren Township Highway Department (5 digits addresses) in unincorporated Warren Township. The service was not designed for residents who hire a contractor or landscaper to clear a lot, trim tree(s), or take down tree(s). Cutting down a tree is not considered to be trimming or pruning, and the township should not be expected to remove the debris. If you hire a service, including landscapers, it is the responsibility of the service provider to remove the brush.
Our chipping equipment runs weekly, year-round, weather permitting. However, due to other work, it may be necessary to miss a week at certain times. Pick up days are not scheduled due to not knowing how much brush has been placed out for pickup. We have many subdivisions and areas that have property that belongs to a homeowner’s association (HOA). It is the responsibility of the contactor that the HOA has hired to remove any and all brush that is created from the project. The township is not responsible for the chipping of HOA brush. As a result of the brush removal service, wood mulch is available for Warren Township residents. The Highway Department will deliver wood mulch to residents living within the Highway Department jurisdiction. Delivering wood mulch is a fill in job so we cannot guarantee the delivery day or time. Wood mulch is delivered in a one ton truck which results in 4 to 5 yards. Please call the Highway Department to set up a delivery at 847-244-1101 Ext. *301. Residents are also welcome to come to the Highway Department and pick up the wood mulch. If you are interested in picking up the mulch, please call to make sure we have mulch available at the present time. If we do, you are welcome to come and take some. We do ask that you be considerate of other Warren Township residents when loading and ordering wood mulch. Wood mulch is available for residents of Warren Township. It is not for landscape contractors. Pick up hours are Monday thru Friday 7:00am – 3:00pm.
A few guidelines for our brush removal service:
- All brush must be cut no longer than 8 to 10 feet in length and no larger than 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Anything larger is considered firewood and the township will not take it. No root balls will be picked up.
- Brush piles must be placed so the chipping equipment and crew can have access.
- Piles need to be adjacent to a driveway or street. Piles placed in fields will not be chipped.
- It is easier and more efficient to chip the piles if they are wider and spread out rather than taller.
- All cut ends need to be facing the same direction towards the street. Please do not allow brush to extend into the street. The equipment does not chip individual branches that are small (rakings) or old-decayed wood well. Recently removed vegetation will chip better than old dried out branches and shrubs.
- Keep all piles free of rocks, dirt, wire, lumber, spiny plants and poison oak. The chipper cannot chip piles of pine needles or leaves. Yard waste can be disposed of through Waste Management.
- Brush may not be brought to Township for disposal.
Items which do not conform to these guidelines will not picked up by the township and will be the sole responsibility of the homeowner as to their proper disposal. A notice will be placed on your pile if it will not be picked up.
After a severe storm, the Township will start brush pickup to remove debris. A severe storm is defined as a storm producing enough damage that the Township Road Crews need to clear roads and right-of-ways of trees/branches for traffic. Please follow the brush pickup guidelines.