Assessment and Appeal Info
Warren Township property assessment notices were mailed out on or after our date of publish, which was August 4th for tax year 2022. Assessment information can also be viewed online by going to tax.lakecountyil.gov.
After assessments are published, a property owner has 30 days to appeal their assessment if they so desire. The final filing date for assessment appeals in Warren Township was September 6th for the 2022 assessments.
It’s important for taxpayers to read, understand and check this notice for accuracy as it contains important information about their property. Property owners are encouraged to check to make sure they are receiving all the exemptions they qualify for. To learn more about the different exemptions Click Here.
Property owners may appeal the assessed value of their property. An appeal is not a complaint about higher taxes. Rather, it is an attempt to prove that a property's estimated market value is unfair or inaccurate.
Prior to filing a formal appeal to the Board of Review, read, understand and check your notice for accuracy. Property owners should contact Warren Township Assessor at 847-244-1101 and choose option 2 to discuss their concerns or schedule an in office visit. The Warren Township Assessor's office is currently open to walk-ins, however, we suggest calling ahead and making an appointment. Note: There is a 30-day deadline from the date of publication to file an appeal.
The final filing date for assessment appeals in Warren Township is September 6th.
Grounds for Appeal
An appeal can be made for the following reasons:
- Factual error (e.g. incorrect square footage).
- The assessment is greater than the recent purchase price of the subject property (supporting documentation required: HUD-1 and PTAX-203).
- The assessment is greater than the subject's current fair cash value (supporting documentation required: Recent appraisal or comparable property sales data on county grid).
- The assessment is higher than comparable properties (supporting documentation required: comparable property assessment data on county grid).
- Matter of law
Contact the Township Office IF:
- You have questions regarding property characteristics that may indicate a factual error on the property's property record card (ex. incorrect square footage).
- You purchased the property between 2021 or 2022 and the assessment is greater than the property's recent purchase price.
- You need assistance navigating the SmartFile E-Filing Portal to file an appeal for any other reason.
If you are filing an appeal for any reason other than a factual error or due to the recent purchase price where the sale took place during 2021 or 2022, you must file a formal appeal with the Lake County Board of Review. No attorney is required when filing on most residential properties. Appeals may be completed in just a few minutes by using the new SmartFile E-Filing Portal. If you need assistance using the SmartFile E-Filing Portal, please contact the Warren Township Assessor's office for an appointment.
All formal appeals with the Lake County Board of Review must be made online through the SmartFile E-Filing Portal. There are no longer paper forms available for this process.